Fife Football Forum

Ask The Ref

Guest streetsahead

Our ref on Saturday had some very bizarre decisions

He chose NOT to toss a coin before the game, instead he asked the two captains "who is the manager of Scotland" and the first one to answer "won the toss"

At the start of the penalty shoot out he asked "who is the manager of Manchester Utd" and the first one to answer "won the toss"

I'm not going to comment on his other bizarre decisions during the game though :lol:

Yes, rather strange decisions on the part of the obviously deluded official, as Law 8 clearly states "A coin is tossed and the team which wins the toss decides which goal it will attack in the first half of the match" & as for penalty shoot out, the procedure states "The referee tosses a coin and the team whose captain wins the toss decides whether to take the first or the second kick" ........how about telling us about any other strange decisions he made, could be entertaining.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our ref on Saturday had some very bizarre decisions

He chose NOT to toss a coin before the game, instead he asked the two captains "who is the manager of Scotland" and the first one to answer "won the toss"

At the start of the penalty shoot out he asked "who is the manager of Manchester Utd" and the first one to answer "won the toss"

I'm not going to comment on his other bizarre decisions during the game though <_<

Yes, rather strange decisions on the part of the obviously deluded official, as Law 8 clearly states "A coin is tossed and the team which wins the toss decides which goal it will attack in the first half of the match" & as for penalty shoot out, the procedure states "The referee tosses a coin and the team whose captain wins the toss decides whether to take the first or the second kick" ........how about telling us about any other strange decisions he made, could be entertaining.

Don't want to say too much but he clearly stated at the start of the game "I do things differently" and clearly he did :o

However he was the only guy on the park that heard a player swear that's why he booked him

I am in no way blaming him for us losing the match, just pointing out some of the bizarre decisions

Guest streetsahead
[quote name='Young Thor' post='66774' date='Oct 9 2007, 11:25'][quote name='shaman' post='66741' date='Oct 9 2007, 08:21'][quote name='Young Thor' post='66735' date='Oct 8 2007, 23:34']Our ref on Saturday had some very bizarre decisions
I'm not going to comment on his other bizarre decisions during the game though :angry:[/quote] Yes, rather strange decisions on the part of the obviously deluded official, as Law 8 clearly states [b]"A coin is tossed and the team which wins the toss decides which goal it will attack in the first half of the match"[/b] & as for penalty shoot out, the procedure states [b]"The referee tosses a coin and the team whose captain wins the toss decides whether to take the first or the second kick" [/b]........how about telling us about any other strange decisions he made, could be entertaining.
[/quote]
Don't want to say too much but he clearly stated at the start of the game "I do things differently" and clearly he did :angry:
However he was the only guy on the park that heard a player swear that's why he booked him
I am in no way blaming him for us losing the match, just pointing out some of the bizarre decisions
[/quote]

Interesting this on as Law 8 clearly states a coin is tossed. However, I myself have walked onto a pitch to find that i have lost my coin due to a hole in my pocket. was that his dilema for your game? To get round the embarrasment I have often used hands behind the back and ask the captain to pick the whistle.

Did you object to the starting of the match/penalties in that manner? you could have you know! but you didn't so I think you just have sour grapes pal.

we had a guy do the same thing a couple of weeks ago. he came to us before the match and talked to us. i heard him say that he does things differently because he likes to talk to teams before a match and let them know what he does. thats good "player management" in my book.

The fact that you didn't know a free kick is re-taken if it doesn't clear the penalty area indicates that you may not know some rules/laws. perhaps a little night time reading may stop you from getting worked up

Interesting this on as Law 8 clearly states a coin is tossed. However, I myself have walked onto a pitch to find that i have lost my coin due to a hole in my pocket. was that his dilema for your game? To get round the embarrasment I have often used hands behind the back and ask the captain to pick the whistle.

Did you object to the starting of the match/penalties in that manner? you could have you know! but you didn't so I think you just have sour grapes pal.

we had a guy do the same thing a couple of weeks ago. he came to us before the match and talked to us. i heard him say that he does things differently because he likes to talk to teams before a match and let them know what he does. thats good "player management" in my book.

The fact that you didn't know a free kick is re-taken if it doesn't clear the penalty area indicates that you may not know some rules/laws. perhaps a little night time reading may stop you from getting worked up

No sour grapes here, the topic is called ask the ref so I was just pointing out that the manner in which the referee blatantly went against the laws of the game and did things his way, perhaps he was on a power trip

I don't need to do any night time reading to know that you are supposed to toss a coin and as I was on the sidelines and was unaware this happened I didn't object

I think it's you that needs to read things a little slower and take your time as clearly it was not me that posted about a free kick in the box, or perhaps you should stay off the computer on a Saturday night after two or three drinks

I hope your decisions on the park aren't as rash as your posts

Edited by Young Thor

Guest streetsahead
[quote]I hope your decisions on the park aren't as rash as your posts[/quote]

DITO friend.

If you were standing on the sideline, how can you ''rant'' if you don't know what was agreed? As an ex-ref, I put up with all kinds of 'interpertations' made by guys like you. Sometimes, a ref just has to adapt to situations without flauting the laws. he achieved the aim of the toss, which is to determine who kicks off!!

If you are that agrieved, why don't you put a claim of a 'an ilegal game', for as you clearly state the game started incorrectly therefore a violation. You could get the match overturned. Better still get the ref suspended or even sacked. Then you could do that for the others that upset you for not starting games properly or not letting your team win. Then you will have to ref the games yourself 'cos dopes like you just cant see that they are trying their hardest every weekend and get slated for every human error they make. or do they. I refer to the comment to the ball leaving the penalty area.

enough ranting, reply and be that the end to it...........

ps I acknowledge that it wasn't you who made the comment about the ball leaving the penalty area.

Guys like me???

I never once stated that I was aggrieved, I was merely pointing out the different method that this referee used, show me anywhere in any of my posts where I have been aggrieved

Think you need to get off your high horse and stop being all defensive

I don't want to report any refs, I have nothing but support for refs and their organisation. I even attended their sportsmans dinner!

Okay, so you have had a hard day and probably lost by the odd goal or two. But you are pissed at the ref. Was it a bad decision? should he have allowed the goal? Get it off your chest here.

I want senarios, not slagging, cause we will never get to the bottom of things if it is a slanging match

I will answer questions you wish to raise. There are many of you that seem to know the rules but time and time again, you prove that you don't

For instance... Did you know there is no such thing as 'Last man'..... Did you know that the ref can play ADVANTAGE after a foul has been committed but still come back and caution a player...

Why do so many of you receive a caution for going completely off your head when you demand the player be sent off for being 'The Last Man'

Why do so many of you receive a caution for going completely off your head because you feel you have been badly fouled when the Ref is looking at the whole

picture and is allowing ADVANTAGE for your striker to go clear on goal.

You all have loads to say.... so lets help with the myths and up date you with some rules

remember this post???

I give you a scenario - you give me bull sh!t

What do u make of this?

Long ball from opposition is contested by two players, one of ours, ones of theirs, then is guided into our keepers hands.

Between the two players challenging the ball in the air, and the keeper recieving the ball, our player shouts dissent in the referees direction.

Our keeper is ready to send the ball upfield back into play when the ref pulls back play and awards the opposition an indirect free kick in the spot of dissent being shouted, in order to book our player.

Opposition score from said free kick.

Could play not continue as there was no foul, and the booking could be given at a later point shortly after?

Edited by FletcherBoi

What do u make of this?

Long ball from opposition is contested by two players, one of ours, ones of theirs, then is guided into our keepers hands.

Between the two players challenging the ball in the air, and the keeper recieving the ball, our player shouts dissent in the referees direction.

Our keeper is ready to send the ball upfield back into play when the ref pulls back play and awards the opposition an indirect free kick in the spot of dissent being shouted, in order to book our player.

Opposition score from said free kick.

Could play not continue as there was no foul, and the booking could be given at a later point shortly after?

Fair point, BUT. according to the laws of the game, if the referee stops the game in order to book a player. Play then restarts with an indirect free kick, to the opposing team. The ref on this one has followed the laws of the game so there isn't an arguement on this one. I'm sure someone will disagree, but I'm afraid that's the way it is.

B)

on sat 3rd nov m/hill strollers against queensferry, ref argued with a player and other player opened mouth in response, he went on to push the other strollers player with 2 hands hard and he fell to ground, tell me this is allowed, a damn disgrace I was a spectator with my 8 year old in tow, all watching were going nuts about it, a few weeks before he was ref at strollers game and was a disgrace then too the way he spoke to players , manager and comitee members, yes refs get some stick from players and take it in the neck, this one is an arse and needs to be reported.

• 2 months later...

Ref! Can a referee end a game prematurely without abandoning the game?

And if a game is stopped early and it is classed as an abandonment, can penalties be played as technically the game is over altogether no?

If it's "too dangerous to keep playin" on a frozen pitch then it's surely too dangerous for keepers to be expected to dive on it, is it not?

Guest streetsahead
[quote name='thepwick' post='88174' date='Jan 15 2008, 00:13']Ref! Can a referee end a game prematurely without abandoning the game?

And if a game is stopped early and it is classed as an abandonment, can penalties be played as technically the game is over altogether no?

If it's "too dangerous to keep playin" on a frozen pitch then it's surely too dangerous for keepers to be expected to dive on it, is it not?[/quote]

2 Good questions.

According to the laws of the game, the ref keeps time for the game and it is his watch alone that will dictate the length of the game. What ever xtra time he allows must be played as well as the regulatary 90mins. So my answer, by the laws of the game, is no, he cannot end a game without abandoning it.

However, you have not said if you were going by your watch or if the ref actually told you that he blew up early. I have been in a game that one team has been completely demoralised by the thrashing that they were receiving and were not being competitive and the ref blew up early. However a report was put into the League giving the reasons why he blew up early.

[b]Frozen pitch. [/b] A referee will only allow play to commence if he believes there is no danger of serious injury being caused by the condition of the pitch. If a game starts, by the letter of the law, he is entitled to abandon the game later on, if he feels the pitch/conditions have deteariated to the level that to continue, a serious injury may occur.

I did allow games to be played on frozen pitches because I took the opionon that in the Summer months, friendlies are played on baked hard pitchs, similar to frozen pitches. A frozen pitch is in my opionion dangerous if the surface is not only hard but extremely slippery. In my playing days, I always had a set of moldies in my bag to use either on frozen or bake hard pitches. Some players don't do this and walk onto hard pitches with metal studs which are totally unsuitable.

However, if a ref says a pitch is playable, then managers and players have a right to challenge his decision and if both teams are in agreement (and it is not a tactical move in attempt to get a game called off) they can jointly refuse to play. Obviously they will have to face a league inquiry to answer for their actions.

Guest streetsahead
[quote name='gr8kpr' post='72490' date='Nov 4 2007, 20:41']on sat 3rd nov m/hill strollers against queensferry, ref argued with a player and other player opened mouth in response, he went on to push the other strollers player with 2 hands hard and he fell to ground, tell me this is allowed, a damn disgrace I was a spectator with my 8 year old in tow, all watching were going nuts about it, a few weeks before he was ref at strollers game and was a disgrace then too the way he spoke to players , manager and comitee members, yes refs get some stick from players and take it in the neck, this one is an arse and needs to be reported.[/quote]

Its not quite clear to me who was doing the pushing here. but if the ref pushed the player, then he should be reported to the league. A full inquiry will be conducted and the appropriate action should be taken.

If this was a player v player incident, then a caution for aggressive atittude or a sending off for violent conduct.

Refs are not above the laws and rules of a particular competition and evidence of excessive abuse of the position he holds should be treated in the same way as an unruly player or clubman.

The ball is in your court my friend

Guest streetsahead
[quote name='Young Thor' post='69135' date='Oct 21 2007, 19:44'][quote name='streetsahead' post='6059' date='Feb 11 2007, 20:25']Okay, so you have had a hard day and probably lost by the odd goal or two. But you are pissed at the ref. Was it a bad decision? should he have allowed the goal? Get it off your chest here.

I want senarios, not slagging, cause we will never get to the bottom of things if it is a slanging match

I will answer questions you wish to raise. There are many of you that seem to know the rules but time and time again, you prove that you don't

For instance... Did you know there is no such thing as 'Last man'..... Did you know that the ref can play ADVANTAGE after a foul has been committed but still come back and caution a player...

Why do so many of you receive a caution for going completely off your head when you demand the player be sent off for being 'The Last Man'

Why do so many of you receive a caution for going completely off your head because you feel you have been badly fouled when the Ref is looking at the whole
picture and is allowing ADVANTAGE for your striker to go clear on goal.

You all have loads to say.... so lets help with the myths and up date you with some rules[/quote]
remember this post???
I give you a scenario - you give me bull sh!t
[/quote]

Yes, I do remember this.

However, I objected to your tone in your posts and felt that you were upset that this particlar guy was doing his own thing. I get frustrated because people make comments about incidents without knowing the full circumstances around incidents or not knowing the true wording of the law, post comments and just simply damage the game more and more.

That frustration, I took out on you. Right or wrong, its open to interrputation. Sometimes I feel we all need to step back and just take a moment and see where truly the crux of the problem is. Not tossing a coin to determine the start of the game is trivial when it comes to was it a pen or not. I was a ref and will defend the good or the bad ones to the hilt as it is the most difficult thing to do especially with all the disagreements we have and thats all they are disagreements with the guy in the middle who has been bold enough to put himself into that position and make the decision.

I used to tell players that I coached or managed that what ever happens on the pitch stays on the pitch. Nothing can change it. If a ref is poor, why isn't there a reporting system telling the league how refs are doing. That way they can see a trend, watch individuals and make a decision to provide counseling, training or in extreme cases, the sack.

So to you, i apologies for the 'war' of the words and will try and not to let my frustration leap to the fore

Ref! Can a referee end a game prematurely without abandoning the game?

If it's "too dangerous to keep playin" on a frozen pitch then it's surely too dangerous for keepers to be expected to dive on it, is it not?

2 Good questions.

According to the laws of the game, the ref keeps time for the game and it is his watch alone that will dictate the length of the game. What ever xtra time he allows must be played as well as the regulatary 90mins. So my answer, by the laws of the game, is no, he cannot end a game without abandoning it.

However, you have not said if you were going by your watch or if the ref actually told you that he blew up early. I have been in a game that one team has been completely demoralised by the thrashing that they were receiving and were not being competitive and the ref blew up early. However a report was put into the League giving the reasons why he blew up early.

Frozen pitch. A referee will only allow play to commence if he believes there is no danger of serious injury being caused by the condition of the pitch. If a game starts, by the letter of the law, he is entitled to abandon the game later on, if he feels the pitch/conditions have deteariated to the level that to continue, a serious injury may occur.

I did allow games to be played on frozen pitches because I took the opionon that in the Summer months, friendlies are played on baked hard pitchs, similar to frozen pitches. A frozen pitch is in my opionion dangerous if the surface is not only hard but extremely slippery. In my playing days, I always had a set of moldies in my bag to use either on frozen or bake hard pitches. Some players don't do this and walk onto hard pitches with metal studs which are totally unsuitable.

However, if a ref says a pitch is playable, then managers and players have a right to challenge his decision and if both teams are in agreement (and it is not a tactical move in attempt to get a game called off) they can jointly refuse to play. Obviously they will have to face a league inquiry to answer for their actions.

cheers.

It was actually brought to my attention by the opposition challenging the ref when he blew saying that there was only 39/40mins played of the 2nd half. The game was 1-1 at the time and both teams could have scored with what was left to play. When he was asked by our team, we were told that it was becoming too dangerous to play so he stopped it early.

With regards to the teams refusing to play, we did discuss that option but we concurred with ourselves that there could be abuse to suggesting it if that makes sense?

Mouldies for me were totally not suitable. I was sliding across the top of the surface trying to run/turn/stop. I switched to studs to see if that was any better and as there was give in some parts of the park, that was better. It was fine if i was running as there was more pressure in my studs. But walking, turning and stopping were still a problem over quite a bit of the park. Starting a run was still slippy at times.

In the first 20 mins of the game, we actually lost 2 players to injury as a direct result of the surface. One twisted his ankle and another slipped as he was making a takle and bust his knee. That to me suggested there was an element of danger.

What could actually be done about a scenario like that???