Fife Football Forum

SAFA

Berti

With the SAFA looking to gain agreement to increase membership fees by more than 30% it got me thinking as to why we need the SAFA. Currently they are looking to try and save £30,000 per annum. Clubs are currently struggling financially and having to cut our cloth accordingly so surely the SAFA should be looking to do the same without taking it from their member clubs whether that be through sponsorship or reduction in their overheads.

Would the KofFAFA be any different without being in membership of the SAFA? I certainly do not think so with the exception of the Scottish Cup but maybe I am missing something. As someone who has run a club for the best part of 25 years I can think of absolutely nothing we have gained by being part of the SAFA. As a club we are in a very precarious position financially due to running costs and especially training costs. We already have to pay for the SAFA's compulsory insurances with the Public Liability Insurance in particular considerably overpriced.

For years the SAFA have told us that they are there to help develop and promote football in Scotland but I have yet to see an example of this. Perhaps it is reserved for the top clubs or West coast clubs?

I believe there are currently 1050 amateur clubs in Scotland, a figure that has dropped considerably in the last 6 years with over 200 clubs folding. Even then from SAFA membership alone that generates £73,500. If 900 of these clubs then enter the Scottish and regional cups there is another £27,000. Add to that the fines, commission from the compulsary insurance there is a fair amount of money brought in from clubs then there is also the fees each association pays.

I am happy to be enlightened if anyone knows of some positives I am missing! Just to confirm this is my personal opinion and not that of the club!

Bertie you are not alone in thinking the same thing. The SAFA promote that they will help clubs with all aspects of financial help regards funding towards various agendas towards helping the clubs keep on going.

We asked about trying to upgrade/renovate the shower areas that have been in place for 50 + years at our changing rooms. yes we got a reply that told us to look towards other funding agencies that might help.

Not being sarcastic but with the money the SAFA have in the bank why are they not at the cap in hand stage. There are other issues with the SAFA regards finance but that can be discussed at another time

I agree for grass roots football and I mean amateur football cost alot not just the SAFA asking for monies but pitch hire, training venues etc I personally think we have seen no real contribution from them 

When did we see 'free coaching courses?  reduction in fees to support clubs? Pitch and changing room support? Travel? Refs fees etc etc which no doubt will all be subject to review

I think the team insurance system is poor and what real support does it give? pennies rather than £££'s

The SFA get sponsorship from large companies so when does it filter down

Mine like others clubs will seriously think about continuing  and in fact may be forced to fold 

It's getting harder every year  I think as a league we should say no

Edited by Mariner
additional info

i have first hand experience in the hiring of pitches and was working for fife leisure trust at cupar s.c. when the astro turf was laid ,i often go to watch an ammie game at cupar and it saddens me to see the  £ .1,000000 plus pitch sitting empty.......why ? because the price is far to high. ps .f-ck the sfa.

2 hours ago, jaz said:

i have first hand experience in the hiring of pitches and was working for fife leisure trust at cupar s.c. when the astro turf was laid ,i often go to watch an ammie game at cupar and it saddens me to see the  £ .1,000000 plus pitch sitting empty.......why ? because the price is far to high. ps .f-ck the sfa.

£1000000 plus pitch. It certainly didn't cost that. 

I have Been quite vocal about this on Twitter. We need to make sure as clubs and associations that this doesn’t get voted in by attending any vote for it. The Safa have over 300k in the bank there is no need whatsoever for an increase in any fees. 

4 hours ago, twoandahalf said:

I have Been quite vocal about this on Twitter. We need to make sure as clubs and associations that this doesn’t get voted in by attending any vote for it. The Safa have over 300k in the bank there is no need whatsoever for an increase in any fees. 

Let's hope it's rejected by all the club's and associations however there have been a number of ludicrous decisions passed lately so I'm not holding out much hope.

They should allow a postal vote as that would give a true indication of the club and associations views but it'll never happen as that's not so easy to manipulate.

Edited by Berti

On 11/16/2017 at 9:10 PM, Berti said:

With the SAFA looking to gain agreement to increase membership fees by more than 30% it got me thinking as to why we need the SAFA. Currently they are looking to try and save £30,000 per annum. Clubs are currently struggling financially and having to cut our cloth accordingly so surely the SAFA should be looking to do the same without taking it from their member clubs whether that be through sponsorship or reduction in their overheads.

Would the KofFAFA be any different without being in membership of the SAFA? I certainly do not think so with the exception of the Scottish Cup but maybe I am missing something. As someone who has run a club for the best part of 25 years I can think of absolutely nothing we have gained by being part of the SAFA. As a club we are in a very precarious position financially due to running costs and especially training costs. We already have to pay for the SAFA's compulsory insurances with the Public Liability Insurance in particular considerably overpriced.

For years the SAFA have told us that they are there to help develop and promote football in Scotland but I have yet to see an example of this. Perhaps it is reserved for the top clubs or West coast clubs?

I believe there are currently 1050 amateur clubs in Scotland, a figure that has dropped considerably in the last 6 years with over 200 clubs folding. Even then from SAFA membership alone that generates £73,500. If 900 of these clubs then enter the Scottish and regional cups there is another £27,000. Add to that the fines, commission from the compulsary insurance there is a fair amount of money brought in from clubs then there is also the fees each association pays.

I am happy to be enlightened if anyone knows of some positives I am missing! Just to confirm this is my personal opinion and not that of the club!

if you count the sunday clubs, and sunday cups it near doubles  your quoted incomes

Edited by valdas