Fife Football Forum

Newburgh

Thank goodness thats the away monkey off our back at last...

A hard fought win at Stoneyburn with both teams ending the game with 10 players. There wasn't a bad tackle in the game. 

Stoneyburn took the lead from a corner with a well taken header at the back post. A soft penalty award allowed Newburgh to equalise from the penaly spot before half time.

Newburgh took the lead shortly after half time with Sutherland doubling his tally for the day. 

Stoneyburn reduced to 10 men shortly after Newburgh scored. 

The home side upped their game and got a deserved equaliser with 10 to play. 

Newburgh then picked themselves up and a cracking strike with 2 minutes to go from Hutchison gave them the win. 

A real hard fought game that was well worth the cost of entry for the supporters. 

The 3 points lift Newburgh to 4th in league. 

West Calder visit East Shore Park next week. 

Got to be honest and say I didn't think it was a great game with a heavy bobbly pitch making free flowing football nigh on impossible and a referee with his cards on a piece of elastic booking anyone and everyone. I did laugh when the ref sent off the Stoneyburn coach for something someone in the crowd shouted at him, not the only case of mistaken identity he made. 

A wins a win and as Grif says good to break the hoodoo. 

Very entertaining game today, good attacking play from both teams and Newburgh desperately unlucky to not come away with all three points. 

An early goal after 4 minutes saw Calder go ahead but good movement gave Burgh the equaliser. A chance to take the lead only denied by the post and a couple of great saves by the keeper before the half was out. 

Second half and Burgh went ahead after a great passing move down the right crossed in and struck home, reward for a good period of play. 

As the game drew on another fine save from the Calder keeper kept them in the game. 

As the final whistle closed in Calder were throwing everything at it, 4 minutes into injury time they won a corner and threw everyone up, a good save from the initial header pushed the ball onto the bar, a Calder head was first to the rebound and despite the best efforts of the defender on the line the ball went into the net to break the Burgh hearts. 

Disappointing to only come away with a point when Burgh deserved all 3, but can't fault any of the players for effort. 

Looks like a weekend off next week with Thorntons game in the Scottish taking precedence, so Armadale at East Shore in a fortnight to look forward to. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another good game of football at East Shore Park as Armadale paid a visit on league business. 

Armadale a very good team who appear to have put their early season wobbles well behind them, in my opinion the best team I've seen in the league this year. 

The first goal came from the Armadale centre half virtually running the length of the park before firing an unstoppable shot from the edge of the box, cracking strike. The second following a couple of minutes later when a looping cross was headed in at the back post. 

Burgh worked away and got one back just before the break after a long clearance was picked up and taken around the goalie. 

Second half Newburgh worked hard without creating any clear chances. 

Armadale got the killer third with 10 minutes to play after a scramble in the box was fired home. Burgh again worked hard to get back into things but it wasn't to be. 

If Armadale had started the season better they'd have been right up their with Pumpherston vying for the league title. 

As a general point I'm really enjoying the season so far, the worst game I've watched still had five goals in it. Great value for a £5, you could do an awful lot worse than get out and watch a game, far better than sitting in the house watching Geoff Stelling telling you the scores!

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:28 AM, Soapy Bubbles said:

As a general point I'm really enjoying the season so far, the worst game I've watched still had five goals in it. Great value for a £5, you could do an awful lot worse than get out and watch a game, far better than sitting in the house watching Geoff Stelling telling you the scores!

If you want to watch amateur level players playing in entertaining games, why not just watch amateur fitba, its better value than junior . Same level of players and its free.:lol:

To Gogsy and Rocket, don't know who pissed on your chips but each to their own, good positive contribution to the discussion you've made there  though. 

Today's game was poor fair, the weather was horrible, and had an impact on the game though Rosyth were deserved winners, but i thought Burgh made more of a game of things second half. 

Now for a fortnight off to thaw out. Enjoy your Xmas. 

On 12/15/2018 at 12:15 PM, gogsy said:

If you want to watch amateur level players playing in entertaining games, why not just watch amateur fitba, its better value than junior . Same level of players and its free.:lol:

If you want to watch a shot shy team playing in an  East of Scotland competition, why no go watch Athletico Rosyth? ....same plastic pitch with a new manager that’s a fudd and won’t cost you £7 

Edited by Oak Lee

• 2 weeks later...

A trip over the bridge for the first game of the new year and a visit to Livingston. 

A better day for a game of football you'll struggle to find in January, but the park was soft and bobbly which made a passing game difficult for both teams. 

The game got off to a niggly start with a few tough tackles flying in, as both teams struggled to get their timing right. 

Livy took an early lead with a neat near post header, though it was only a matter of 2 minutes until Burgh were back on level terms. 

Livy then had a penalty saved, the rebound coming back into the box and fired home only to be disallowed for offside, to everyone but the referees bemusement. 

Livy took the lead just before the half with a volley from close in. 

2nd half and Livy began to take charge of the game, the third goal being the pick of the game with a lovely passing move almost the full length of the pitch then fired across the keeper into the corner of the goal. 

As Burgh pushed to get back into the game it left gaps at the back that Livy took advantage of to give a lopsided look to the score board. 

A disappointing start to the year, but not as bad as the score suggests. 

On to next week and the league cup with super league Star being the visitors to East Shore Park. 

First home game of 2019 with KSH the visitors on a dry day but with a blustery wind. 

KSH started with the wind behind them and had the better of the early play, though Newburgh also had a couple of good chances when long balls were poorly dealt with by the KSH defence. 

The visitors took the lead with a neat lobbed finish from a long through a ball and quickly grabbed a second with a near post header from a corner. 

Burgh a plugged away and deserved some reward from their efforts but went into the break 2-0 down. 

Second half was more controlled from both teams trying to carve an opening, but few clear cut chances were to fall to either team. 

As the game drew to a close KSH grabbed a third with the last touch of the ball from another header from a corner. 

Thought it was a good game, played in the right spirit decently handled by the man in the middle. 

On to next week and the short trip to Thornton. 

The short trip to Thornton yesterday for a league Cup tie. A dry still day but freezing cold. 

Thornton started on the front foot and put Burgh under pressure from the start, but they couldn't get a break through. 

It was somewhat against the run of play that Newburgh grabbed the lead on the 10 minute mark with a good near post header from a corner powered into the net. 

It was to be short lived as almost from the kick of Thornton went up the park forcing a good save from the Burgh keeper. The second of the resultant corners was headed towards goal when it was stopped by the defender on the line, illegally said the ref, resulting in a straight red card and a penalty which was driven home. 

From then on Thornton turned the screw, but it was just before half time when they scored a second with a rebound off the post falling straight to the attackers foot who made no mistake. 

Second half was almost all Thornton but the Burgh players can't be faulted for effort trying to get some sort of reward, three further goals fell to the homeside as they ran out comfortable winners. 

On to next week and back to league business with a trip over the bridge to Harthill. 

• 2 months later...

I see that newburgh have posted up online that after completing all there league fixtures they have finished mid table i have just looked at the league table and 1 of the teams below them have 7 games in hand with another 4 teams below them having 2 3 or 4 games left to play with only a couple of points separating them it’s a bit early to pull the wool over peoples eyes is it not they could potentially finish 3rd bottom of a 12 team league are yous not better waiting till all the league fixtures have been played for final positions lol 

On 4/6/2019 at 9:50 AM, Ya Rocket said:

I see that newburgh have posted up online that after completing all there league fixtures they have finished mid table i have just looked at the league table and 1 of the teams below them have 7 games in hand with another 4 teams below them having 2 3 or 4 games left to play with only a couple of points separating them it’s a bit early to pull the wool over peoples eyes is it not they could potentially finish 3rd bottom of a 12 team league are yous not better waiting till all the league fixtures have been played for final positions lol 

Point me in the direction of the post mate and I will get it removed. Was it on Twitter, Facebook or our website?

We are well aware of the fact the clubs currently below us have games in hand.