Fife Football Forum

Squad size and age

Afterall

Depends on commitment. These days players want to take Saturdays aff to go shopping wi the wife, go on stag do's, wee weekend breaks wi their pals, get tattoos done, spent the house, etc. Work commitments are understandable but anything else is just a kick in the hawmaws to a committed coaching team. Especially when the returning player goes in the huff when he doesn't waltz straight  back into the team or organizes a wee break on major dates predetermined in the calendar for Scottish etc. If ye sign on the dotted line you should be 100% committed  or dont bother. Same for any team sport actually. Nae wonder management and coaching teams get py55hed aff and eventually lose the enthusiasm. :(

Thats the word commitment You sign 20+ players get them tracksuits polo shirts etc then come matchday 9 turn up and the manager is getting trialists in

Also applies to training

Also applies to how the team is performing players will jack it in if the team gets pumped every week

Applies in most sports these days. I'm heavily involved at a national level in another sport. Even there the commitment can be less than 100%. Always stuns me - in my era you would sweat blood and give everything to play for your country at an international level. If only players looked closely at their management team and respected the amount of time and effort coaches devote just so they could make it possible for players to actually take to the park in a Saturday they might act differently. Probably not though. :rolleyes::angry2:

16 hours ago, Mariner said:

Thats a good comment and you're correct alot of players don't understand what goes on behind the scenes with coaches and committee

I think the modern day amateur footballer has a lot more distractions these days, and football is just part of it. The level of commitment then suffers because of it. But I wish a few of them would think of the work that goes on behind the scenes to make sure they have a club to play for, whether it be the managers or coaches, to the Committee doing their best to pay bills, get new kits, training gear and sponsorship - even more so difficult these days, again even worse once Covid eases as these sponsors will also have been massively hit.

When I played, I would hate to let the club down, mess them around by not turning up for games or training. Nowadays, many don't seem to care (as much).

16 hours ago, Mariner said:

I think going back to the original question about squad size I think it's got to be 20 plus, the managers hardest job is keeping the players happy every week 

Good numbers to manage given you more than likely will get a player or 2 who cant play for 1 reason or another ( away shopping with the other half, getting their hair permed or the like) oh and work commitments too) and it all about commitment to the club I guess so 18-20 fully committed players  better than 26 half hearted players., Never ever going  keep every one happy thats a given.

so what about age /ability / fitness  where do these sit in the equation?

Forget about the commitment of the Board or Committee members ( well all they do is come and support on match days... right!!)   that`s a hole other post.

On 7/10/2020 at 12:12 PM, Yallop said:

I think the modern day amateur footballer has a lot more distractions these days, and football is just part of it. The level of commitment then suffers because of it. But I wish a few of them would think of the work that goes on behind the scenes to make sure they have a club to play for, whether it be the managers or coaches, to the Committee doing their best to pay bills, get new kits, training gear and sponsorship - even more so difficult these days, again even worse once Covid eases as these sponsors will also have been massively hit.

When I played, I would hate to let the club down, mess them around by not turning up for games or training. Nowadays, many don't seem to care (as much).

It's unfortunately not just amateur football that the commitment issues apply to. Happens across the board at junior as well. I've seen it with various clubs whether it be holidays through the season, stag doo's, boys doing homers and then the genuine work commitments. Happens often there's always teams either short handed with 12/13 signed and u19s on the bench or a couple of trialists filling in as well. 

9 hours ago, The wanderer said:

It's unfortunately not just amateur football that the commitment issues apply to. Happens across the board at junior as well. I've seen it with various clubs whether it be holidays through the season, stag doo's, boys doing homers and then the genuine work commitments. Happens often there's always teams either short handed with 12/13 signed and u19s on the bench or a couple of trialists filling in as well. 

you cant play signed under 19 players 

13 hours ago, The wanderer said:

Juniors are dead mate.

57 minutes ago, Afterall said:

so squad sizes are coming down to player commitment and loyalty ( and teams fielding players within the confines of the laws of the game)   ideal 20 ish players then

so age ranging from what 19+ to what? or should it be based on capability? 

you can play any age Saturday Amateur , Sunday pub fitbaw from 18 years old