Fife Football Forum

Steelend Vics

James

That's a fair comment Bibby , when you think back to players like Bibby wilson , Adam Moffat ,John Mitchell just to name a few. The standard in fife has certainly went back the way , no doubt about that .

Aye the standards dropped at ALL levels of the game,the kids teams are awash with players but they seem to loose interest the older they get,there's not enough quality players to go around which means the players now have the power,in days gone by if you didn't train midweek you were dropped for Saturday,try enforcing that nowadays.

A very decent debate guys and I agree wholeheartedly with many of your comments, money unfortunately is killing the game

as a sport, I am old enough to remember when guys would jump through rings to step up to the junior level now its " how much am i getting" with

no real interest in the football clubs welfare. We have in the last month travelled away to Dunbar, Tranent & Blairgowrie as you can imagine compared to last season

where it may have been Lochgelly, Dundonald & Rosyth its a financial nightmare.....so I agree Steelend may just be the start, but lets all hope that's not the case?

having read all comments then why do we pay more wages for players who are inferior to our bygone days.as you say cost,travelling etc.fife clubs also have poor support at away games in premier,supreleague.BRING BACK A FIFE LEAGUE FOR CLUBS WHO WISH TO DO IT.NEXT MEETING PROPOSE THIS AND SEE WHOSE INTERESTED.caps lock off noo.

having read all comments then why do we pay more wages for players who are inferior to our bygone days.as you say cost,travelling etc.fife clubs also have poor support at away games in premier,supreleague.BRING BACK A FIFE LEAGUE FOR CLUBS WHO WISH TO DO IT.NEXT MEETING PROPOSE THIS AND SEE WHOSE INTERESTED.caps lock off noo.

The wages are only going to get worse with the scrap of the retention, unlike years gone by players rule football clubs these days at all levels.

The wages are only going to get worse with the scrap of the retention, unlike years gone by players rule football clubs these days at all levels.

No need for the wages to get worse. Clubs should be paying out only what they can afford and no more. If a player doesn't want to sign for a club for £x per week then get someone who does.

Return to the Fife league is never going to happen.

Edited by gogsy

No need for the wages to get worse. Clubs should be paying out only what they can afford and no more. If a player doesn't want to sign for a club for £x per week then get someone who does.

Return to the Fife league is never going to happen.

I know there is no need and its not something i agree with, but a club is saving 3-4k on a transfer fee, the players aint stupid they know the club is saving on the fee so will in turn ask for a signing on fee and a better wage it would then be up to the club if they want to pay that.

This is not all players by the way but the majority who are good enough can demand the big wages and they will hold out for them.

Got to agree with Wull.....Fife should have its own league, its own fife Cup and its own League cup....could maybe even try and make Fife cup with the top amateur teams as well......

Got to agree with Wull.....Fife should have its own league, its own fife Cup and its own League cup....could maybe even try and make Fife cup with the top amateur teams as well......

Although i'm not sure a step back towards a fife league is a good idea, the fife cup with amateur teams in is a great shout.

There is no English amateur cup for teams down here in bucks/northants, they play in separate county cups which have a large number of entries. Teams from the United counties league and south midlands league which are junior/non league teams enter the same competition as the top amateurs and the equivalent reserve sides enter a lower junior cup competition.

It works very well and despite the odd silly score, from the last 64 onwards it is very competitive and has been won on several occasions in recent years by the amateur sides. worth a look for some much needed revenue for teams struggling financially. The final is played at sixfields, Northampton towns ground and is a decent incentive.

A tie between local amateurs and juniors i'm sure would appeal and bring a decent crowd, for example St Andrews utd vs St Andrews amateurs or similarly close junior/amateur sides. definitely worth a look i'd say.

I came on here when I first heard the news about the north/south leagues and said how it would destroy clubs financially and that it was a terrible decision, at the time I got absolutely slated and told a new fife league would never work, stupid idea, people saying that the new league setup is great if your club is ambitious! How can clubs be ambitious when they are spending hundreds evert weekend on travelling alone, never mind all other expenditures. Only way forward is a fife league. Crowds would rise incredibly, meaning more money for clubs, meaning better players and ultimetely a far better standard of football!

This idea of a fife league was discussed at a league meeting before the new league set up was voted in and there were a lot of fife clubs against it....only a few so called smaller teams were for it and the majority against it...At the meeting we split down into 3 groups fife tayside and Lothians. This is when it was talked about along with other ideas how to make the set up better and what we have now was the option that most clubs voted for...

Long away trips are causing clubs to suffer and this will remain the case until a Fife League returns. I was at the Thornton Hibs game yesterday and saw several guys I know well who are all diehard Glenrothes Junior fans at the game who did not want to travel to their game at Dunbar.

Ten/fifteen years ago a trip by any Junior club to Dunbar in a cup competition would be looked upon by their supporter as a great day out, great pi$$ up etc, bit of a novelty much the same way as an away day in the Scottish is viewed by an amateur club but now you have diehards turning their backs because they are being forced to make these sort of trips every other week! I can't see how any club will benefit.

Long away trips are causing clubs to suffer and this will remain the case until a Fife League returns. I was at the Thornton Hibs game yesterday and saw several guys I know well who are all diehard Glenrothes Junior fans at the game who did not want to travel to their game at Dunbar.

Ten/fifteen years ago a trip by any Junior club to Dunbar in a cup competition would be looked upon by their supporter as a great day out, great pi$$ up etc, bit of a novelty much the same way as an away day in the Scottish is viewed by an amateur club but now you have diehards turning their backs because they are being forced to make these sort of trips every other week! I can't see how any club will benefit.

Bang on, Gary. Great post.

I talked about this at the start of the season and I was shot down by some people on here, Steelend won't be the last team to have financial problems this season, there was a warning last season when a super league club asked their players to take a wage cut to help them through the winter months, surely clubs with less resources had to sit up and take notice when that happened.!!!!!! As I said before the set up is turning fans and players away!!!!

I hope the financial side of things don't put other teams into abeyance as it's not nice seeing that happen to teams...I know how hard it is travelling around as yesterday we were at Dunbar and next week we are up at Montrose and let's say the cost of two buses there not much change of £1000...

My point exactly James, how can a junior club afford to spend around £1000 just on travelling alone!!!! I think the set up when the super league first started was the best, still have regional leagues underneath the super league and the winners of each league get promoted with the bottom 3 getting relegated , will cut down on costs and still give clubs an incentive to try and, gain promotion!!!