Fife Football Forum

Steelend Vics

James

Bibby certainly makes some interesting comparisons but as he said it is very difficult to compare decades. Believe it or not there were players around when Hill of Beath and Kelty were dominant that would not play for either of todays teams, I also mean no disrespect so would not wish to name people. I fully agree that society has changed, work patterns have changed also social fabrics, all day gambling, all day drinking, football on tv throughout Saturdays, along with plenty of other pursuits which do not drag people out of the house two nights a week in all weathers to train for example.

Nations where living standards are poorer have seen football improve, African nations for example where football is still seen as a great pastime and perhaps a way out of poverty.

Take the foreign stars out of the English Leagues and they too would struggle albei still better than our football.

Regarding the debate on costs of the new league set up, yes some costs will be incurred, I doubt though if many or any teams use buses to every away game and pooling cars is without doubt a regular method used.

How many clubs are in the leagues ? 14 / 16 ? So 13 or 15 away games max plus 3 cups which could be home or away ? Remember that you benefit from home games.

Junior clubs have been falling in the area for years Clackmannan, Tulliallan, Halbeath, Frances Colliery, Comrie Colliery, Valleyfield, Jubilee,, Leven, Benarty...there will be more.

My point is that Fife Leagues were no more capable of sustaining these clubs than the current set up. Indeed at one stage even the Fife League was divided into two sections with little success.

It's progress guys whether you like it or not, the chap from Kelty is spot on when he says he would rather watch his team in a competitive league than watch them handing out the canings they gave some more local sides.

Incidentally it is not the first time Lochgelly have beaten Kelty nor will it be the last, upsets do happen from time to time, the Lochgelly lads will have raised their game against Super League opposition and well done to them.They are clearly striving to get to that standard if I am reading the signs right.